Sorry for this delayed post..here are some updates on my last month or so of my summer!!
BRAZIL: May 30-June 13
I was so blessed to have the opportunity to return to Brazil
with this group and to also see some Brazilian friends that I have made
on my previous trips to Brazil. It was awesome to share about our
experiences since our last visit. We were able to visit a few different
schools and play futsal with the kids and also share with them a bit
about our ministry with the Chicago Eagles and how much Jesus loves
them. Along with the schools we visited, we played games against
Brazilian teams in the different areas and had the opportunity to share
what soccer means to us in our own lives and how God has given us this
gift and ability to play, but specifically to glorify Him. The time
spent in Brazil was especially good for our girls team. As a team we
shared a few of our testimonies every night and it really allowed God to
use our vulnerability to experience His love. Understanding where
people come from and how God is working in their heart currently always
makes for awesome conversations and fellowship with each other. The last
month with these girls has really challenged me spiritually on and off
the field. On the last morning in Limeira, Brazil.. a place I had
previously been in 2010 with the Charlotte Eagles on their youth tour, I
was thinking about my time in Brazil for the third time and the Lord
reminded me of my experiences in the summer of 2010 when I was right
back at the same place when God was really changing my heart and
bringing my eyes back to Him before I was heading into my freshman year
of college. That time in Brazil has changed my life completely and it
was so refreshing to remember the grace God has given to me so freely
and the way He has really faithfully worked in my heart the last two
years.
 |
| This
is my friend Dayana from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She and I met in 2008
on my first trip to Brazil with the Charlotte Eagles and I was so happy
to reconnect this summer in Sao Paulo! |
|
|
|
 |
| At a school in Limeira. |
|
|
 |
Our girls team (in red) played a Brazilian club team in Atibaia with a 3-2 win!
|
 |
Pete and I ;)
|
BACK IN CHICAGO:
Since I
have been back in the Wheaton area we have been working camps every
week. Every week there are typically two camps, so our summer academy
group (guys and girls teams) are split into two coaching groups for the
week and live in host homes along with one or two other teammates,
depending on how many the family offers to host. We live there for the
week, which sometimes only means sleeping and eating because of how busy
our days are. Week 1 was in downtown Chicago with Moody Bible Church.
Every camp is partnered with a church so the families that we stay with
are typically associated with that specific church for the week. We ran
our camp from 8-12pm every day and then had either practice after lunch,
or a game. The Moody camp is always the biggest one of the summer with
over 150 campers and we jumped in head first right after we got home
from Brazil. I had the privilege of coaching the 5-year-olds all
week..so that consisted of mainly duck-duck-goose, freeze tag, or red
light-green light. Not much soccer or they wouldn't enjoy themselves
(HA!) Throughout the week we have a specific word of the day, skit, and
bible time that are all related and that is a great chance to talk with
the kids on a different level. With 5-year-olds, it is a bit tough
because they haven't learned much yet but it was awesome to see how they
progressed throughout the week and hear what they learned. My first
experience at a home-stay was by myself because they could only host one
person so I was a bit nervous at first but it was pretty comfortable
once I met them. Their daughter was on my team throughout the week so I
was happy to spend time with her. Every morning I walked through the
city to the field where camp was held and it was actually pretty fun. I
was happy I had that opportunity to be put out of my comfort zone and
experience a life style I'm not necessarily used to.
 |
My sweet little angels(..?) on my first week of camp!
|
 |
WACKY WEDNESDAY!
|
 |
Jersey Thursday!
|
 |
A couple friends out on Navy Pier.
|
Week 2: I was back in
Wheaton and part of the group that worked with College Church and their
STARS program. This is a program working with a variety of people with
specific disabilities. Every day from 1-4pm we hung out with them and
had different stations to participate in. It was a great experience to
work with them throughout the week and even though soccer wasn't
necessarily a part of this camp, it was still such a blessing to spend
time with this group. During this week we had the STARS group split into
four different teams and 5-6 of the Summer Academy players with each
team and within each team there was one STAR would needed special
attention and had to have one of us with them at all times for various
reasons. I had the opportunity to be with Theresa, who was I think
around 36 years old who was almost completely deaf, non-verbal and
suffered from seizures. I was really excited to work with her and also
nervous. That week working with her and the rest of the STARS was such
an eye-opening experience. I was able to talk with Theresa's dad when he
dropped and picked her up every day along with her younger sister who
was on a different team that week. Her dad was so sweet and so patient
and I just admired so much about his character. Overall I was really
appreciative of the opportunity I had to be at that camp when I could
have been coaching soccer camp with the other group.
 |
Eagles working at the STARS camp in Wheaton.
|
Week 3: "Team Week" (or
what we call halftime because we are halfway through the summer here in
Chicago with the the Chicago Eagles). This week means we do everything
as a group and a time where we are able to refuel and rest in His
presence. The group went camping in Wisconsin for a couple of nights and
spent a lot of time around the bonfire in prayer and worship. The sense
of unity that was renewed after this camping trip is incredible.
Everyone was able to have awesome, edifying conversations with each
other and it was simply refreshing. Although, I would not recommend
camping in 90 degree weather, there was nothing refreshing about
uncontrollably sweating 24/7 for three nights ;) On July 2, we had a
baptism service for any of the group that wanted to be baptized. I was
one of the 8 academy members to be baptized in Devils lake, where our
campground was located.
I have been a Christian all of my life but
until two years ago in Brazil I hadn't really been living my life for
the Lord and pursuing a relationship with him daily. After that trip, I
was hungry for more of Jesus and wasn't content with where I was
spiritually. I can say my life changed a lot on the way I approached
most things and my heart was changed. After our trip to Brazil and since
I have been here in Chicago, I felt the Lord wanted me to take a step
further in my faith and boldness. God's presence filled the lake as we
were baptized.
 |
The 8 academy members that were baptized!!!
|
 |
Beautiful sunrise on the lake!!
|
Week 4: Our group traveled to Oak Brook, IL where we held
another camp. This camp was my favorite camp so far and I miss it
already! This was the second soccer camp that I worked so I was happy
for be back out on the field with all the kids. During this week I
decided to work with the older group of kids ranging from 10-12 years
old and let me tell you...they actually enjoy playing soccer unlike the 5
year old kids! Thank goodness! I was also truly blessed with a
wonderful host family during the week who reminded me of my family. I
miss my family so much and really wish I was able to spend more time
with them before heading back to school for preseason. The youngest girl
of my host family, Maddie, was a camper with us and actually accepted
Christ for the first time. The Lord works in incredible ways and I can
see why He placed me so specifically with that family. This week was one
of my favorites of the summer so far and I wish it didn't go by so
fast!!
This past Friday our group went into downtown Chicago
where we hosted our own version of the Amazing Race. We had a list of
riddles and two hours to complete them. I think we figured out that we
all ran about 8 miles around the city. I know a lot of the people
enjoyed watching us sprint around town searching for places I didn't
know existed until then!! Even though I was exhausted after, my team
definitely enjoyed ourselves!
 |
| Team Ghana! |
|
|
 |
Our host family surprised us at our game!!
|
 |
My Oak Brook host family! Miss them already!
|
Week 5: After a week in Oak
Brook, we transitioned to Madison, Wisconsin, where we are holding our
next camp. We just finished day 1 of camp here in the crazy heat and I
can't wait for what the Lord has in store for the rest of this week and
the rest of the summer!
So sorry for just now posting again! But you can always contact me if you have any questions!
lwelch00@leeu.edu
704-654-7609
No comments:
Post a Comment